If you’ve ever Googled, “Is diet or exercise more important for weight loss?” you’ve probably come across this seemingly arbitrary formula for dropping pounds: It’s 80 percent diet and 20 percent exercise. But where did that 80/20 ratio come from? And what does it really mean?
To solve that mystery, we asked experts for their takes on the idea and what it means for your weight-loss plan:
Why Your Meals Are So Important
The key to weight loss is achieving a negative energy balance, or taking in less calories than you burn, says Albert Matheny, R.D., C.S.C.S., co-founder of SoHo Strength Lab and PROMIX Nutrition. To shed a single pound, you need to achieve a 3,500 calorie deficit. So if you’re following the 80/20 ratio, you’d want to burn approximately 750 calories through exercise and cut an additional 3,000 calories through dieting, says Matheny. That’s a total deficit of 3,750 calories for the week.
The reason dieting is so much more effective than exercise is because it takes a ton of activity to create a 500 to 700 calorie deficit through working out. Essentially, you’d need to run seven to 10 miles a day to lose one pound a week, says Holly Lofton, M.D., an assistant professor of medicine and director of the weight management program at New York University’s Langone Medical Center. The average person can’t keep this up, especially without increasing their caloric intake.
“I see this in patients all the time,” says Lofton. “People think, ‘If I run the marathon or start going to boot camp, I’m going to lose weight’ but they’re often disappointed when they don’t.”
You don’t need to hit an exact 80/20 ratio to shed pounds, but it is important for people to focus primarily on diet when they’re trying to lose weight. “You can lose weight without exercise, but you cannot lose weight if your nutrition counteracts your energy expenditure through exercise,”
Why Sweating Is Still Vital
This doesn’t necessarily mean you should trade your 60-minute boot camp class for one hour of meal prepping instead.
Sure, it’s much easier to create a 500-calorie deficit through diet alone than it is to burn 500 calories through exercise, says Lofton. But when you combine a sweat sesh and a healthy diet, you don’t have to make many dramatic changes at all. For example, instead of eliminating 500 calories by painstakingly striking all dairy from your diet, you could burn 250 calories at the gym and then cut another 250 calories just by skipping your nightly bowl of ice cream.
“A combination of diet and exercise is best at any stage of weight loss,” says Mathenny. “Exercise should be a mix of strength training and cardiovascular training, not just cardio. Both modes of exercise burn calories and, in turn, lead to stored fat being used as a source of energy.”
Keep in mind that the body tends to resist weight loss when you start eating less, which can lead to a plateau, says Lofton. That’s what we call starvation mode—and it happens to everybody who successfully sheds pounds. Though your metabolism might actually start to slow as you lose weight, you can speed it up again by working out—and especially by strength training.
Di.et is a science-based 15-day weight loss program that can help people lose up to 15 pounds in 15 days. It’s not a complicated program as it includes step by step instructions on what to eat, when to eat and how to exercise. The widespread notion of losing ½ lb per week sets you up for failure the intro guide explains, whereas Di.et offers everyone the motivation of seeing quick results increasing the likelihood of them maintaining the lifestyle changes. Di.et also offers a perfect solution for anyone looking to lose weight quickly ahead of a holiday or wedding.
Di.et comprises a series of five downloadable guides:
- Introduction Guide which helps create the mindset for success and ensures readers are prepared for the main 15 day plan
- Diet Guide which includes 15 days of meal plans, suitable for meat eaters, vegans and vegetarians, as well as fat burning strategies and simple science based nutrition and weight loss information
- Workout Guide which includes a 15 day exercise plan that can be done at home, as well as strategies to double the results from workouts and achieve maximum fat burning and fast weight loss results
- Supplement Guide which advises on how supplements can enhance weight loss results, when used alongside a health diet and workout plan, and covers the benefits of each
- Maintenance Guide which covers how to maintain results over the long term, keep motivated and find a healthy balance of lifestyle and die
Unique selling points
- Fast results – up to 15 lb fat loss in just 15 days
- Not just a diet plan. Advice and strategies on diet, workouts, supplements and achieving and maintaining results plus a 15 day diet and exercise plan
- Meal plans designed specifically for meat eaters, vegetarians and vegans
- No gym required. Exercise plan designed to fit into all lifestyles and can be done at home or while travelling
- Combines a mixture of different science-based weight loss strategies (low carb, low calorie, short term fasting and high intensity workouts)
- 75 day money back guarantee if the system is followed and 6 – 15 lbs are not lost
- Available in 5 languages; English, French, Italian, German and Spanish
Dieters will find out how to maximise the body’s fat burning potential by optimizing nutrition and workouts. On top of that they get a dedicated 15-day meal plan for meat lovers, vegetarians and vegans as well as an intensive 15-day workout plan that will smash fat-loss plateaus, plus supplementation and maintenance advice to help them get the most of their weight loss journey!
Di.et promises fast weight loss results with up to 15 lb of body fat shed in just 15 days, alongside diet, exercise, supplement and lifestyle advice to ensure results are sustainable long term.
Below are the key benefits this product has to offer;
- Rapid weight loss in 15 days through 5 valuable guides
- Lose up to 15 pounds in 15 days
- Suitable for meat lovers, vegetarians and vegans
- Dedicated meal and workout plan
- Step-by-step guide on how to lose weight fast
- Aids effective meal planning (meal plans provided)
- Improve the healthiness of foods kept in the house (shopping lists provided)
- Quick weight loss with a mixture of fasting and a low calorie/ low carb diet
- Reduces health risks associated with being obese or overweight An additional checklist of transformational, life-changing benefits can be found on site Di.et